History

J Schipper and Sons was originally founded in 1954 in Cape Town by Jan Schipper, a Dutch engineer who immigrated to South Africa in 1953. 

Joined by his eldest son, Hendrik Roelof Schipper in 1958, the company moved to its first location in 1961, where a workshop building was erected in Raglan Street, which is located next to the N1 highway in Bellville. HR Schipper qualified as an artisan armature winder in 1965 after successfully completing his trade test at the Oliphantsfontein training centre.
History1.png
With improved facilities, the company grew until further extensions were required. These took place in 1977. Jan Schipper's daughter, Margien Human, had joined the Company in 1976, and his younger son Oeno joined in 1978. The company was handed down from J Schipper to HR Schipper in 1979, which is the same year during which the company was  formally registered as a private company.

The company continued to grow through the 1980's, with numerous apprentices being trained during the 70's and 80's. Oeno Schipper and Margien Human left the company during that time, and Jan Schipper sadly passed away in 1986.

This left HR Schipper with the responsibility of running the company on his own until he was joined by his eldest son Rudi in 1993, who had recently graduated from the University of Cape Town with a Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering.

The arrival of Rudi Schipper prompted a process of renovation and modernisation, which was further boosted by the arrival of his brother Leon in 1995. Leon had also completed his Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering.

During 1997, a significant and long overdue extension to the building began and was completed by early 1998. This extension doubled the available workspace, while offices and staff facilities were also added.

The increased space enabled improvements in both quality and productivity in the workshop, while administrative and financial efficiency improved with Leon Schipper completing his Bachelor of Commerce Degree at the University of Stellenbosch in 2001. In March 1998, Rudi and Leon Schipper both became shareholders and Directors of the company.
History2.png
In November 1999, J Schipper and Sons was appointed the Authorised Service Agent in Cape Town for the The Lincoln Electric Company, which is the world leader in welding technology. We have continued to meet all the necessary technical, space and financial resources requirements to carry out factory warranty repairs and equipment certifications to this day.

On the 28th of February 2002, J Schipper and Sons officially entered its third generation when Rudi and Leon Schipper each acquired a 50% share in the business.

On the 27th of April 2006, the company moved to its new 1200m2 premises in Stikland Industria after an incredible 45 years at the old Bellville premises. This significant move was necessary as the old premises had become far too small for the steadily growing business.

The new premises provided better access, parking and loading facilities for customers, additional space for equipment and stores, as well as a more productive workflow within the workshop. It would also allow for better management and quality control, thereby improving the quality of service provided to customers.
History3.png
In 2012, after working together successfully for nearly 20 years, Rudi Schipper bought Leon Schipper’s interest in the company which provided Leon the opportunity to pursue a new challenge in another family business - AC Screens & Shutters.

Sadly, in August 2015, HR Schipper passed away at the age of 72 years. He had been working for the company since the age of 16, and had only retired at the age of 67. His strong work ethic and honesty, as well as his uncompromising attitude to customer service, has remained deeply ingrained in the culture of the company.
On account of continued growth, the company once again expanded the premises to 2200m2 in 2016, by occupying Unit 2 at 6 Cecil Morgan Rd. This has enabled the company to both optimise and expand our operations, and ensures that the high standards of service that our customers have come to expect for over 6 decades, is maintained. 

History4.png

Operating Hours

Monday - Thursday 8AM - 5PM

Friday 8AM - 4PM

Saturday, Sunday & Public Holidays Closed

Map

Physical Address

J Schipper & Sons

Unit 1, 6 Cecil Morgan Road

Off La Belle Street

Stikland, Bellville

Tel:+27 21 948 2928

Fax:+27 21 948 3080

GPS Co-ordinates

S33°54'03,7" , E18°40'14,8"

Email Us

For more information on our services and/or company please contact us by completing the form on our Contact Us Page.